John Shoer Memorial 2010

John Shoer Memorial 2010
Helen McMorrow, Tipperary County Board presents John Shoer Memorial Cup to Winner - John O'Meara - Riverdale

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Bríd Cullinan (Ryan) - In Focus

In this weeks interview I speak with the ever-popular Bríd Cullinan (nee Ryan) who has been the dominant force on the Tipperary Ladies game for over a decade now. Beaten in the All Ireland Semi Finals on more than one occasion, Bríd is very popular among her rivals and she is a very personable young woman. Bríd who had a baby girl (Cara) back in 2008, missed all of that season but 2010 could be that start of something new for the Hillview starlet. She has a lot of passion and drive for the game and I ask her personal views of the game and how it all began for her.

1.What inspired you to get involved in the game?
My father used to play and he encouraged the four children in our family to play. He used to bring us to Hillview regularly to play a few holes when we were quite young. And as I got older I used to tag along to some of the Scratch Cups with my brother.

2.Your sister Joanne was also a very good player when playing, do you think you were better and can you see Joanne ever returning to take some of your glory?
I think it's difficult to compare us as we never really played together or against each other in the Senior ranks. Joanne had a natural full swing and a lovely pitch of the ball. I am doubtful that she will ever make a return to the game as work and family commitments take up a lot of her time – but I would welcome the challenge!!

3.I have a vivid memory of you winning Bronze in the All Ireland Girls Strokeplay in 1992 at Fermoy. Can you recall that great day for you and did this prove beneficial for you to keep up the game as you entered the Adult Grade?
There were very few girls playing in the county at the time and I usually played against the boys in Hillview so I went to Fermoy with no real expectations. I was delighted to do so well especially as it was my last year as a juvenile. I think any success keeps you motivated and interested.

4.Is it fair to say that Fermoy has been a good course to you?
I always enjoy playing there, particularly since the National Matchplay a few years ago. I missed a putt on the last hole and it cost me a place in the final. The course has a variety of shots and is always in good condition.

5.Obviously winning the All Ireland Mixed Foursomes with Mr Joyce at Cloghogue 1999 was a great moment for you personally. Can you talk us through that event?
I had never played the course before and found it quite a challenge during the practice rounds. We got off to a slow start in the first round and I think we were about half way after 18 holes. The local pair were favourites and had the best score turning. Our second round started a bit better and after a few holes we knew- well Noel knew- we were in with a chance. We picked up a couple of more pluses in the closing holes but the pressure was definitely on when Noel started to tell me we had to make the last couple of holes! So I did exactly what I was told and we won by the narrowest of margins. It was a fantastic win for us and playing with Noel was so enjoyable.

6.The ladies game in Tipperary at the moment is quite strong with the emergence of some young talent and also with some players coming back, what is your outlook on perhaps new competition that you now face?
I think new competition is always a positive thing. Ladies pitch and putt in the county is in a very good position at the moment. New and returning players encourage people to practice and put in more of an effort – especially if you are on the losing side of some of our new talent, as I well know!

7.Will Tipperary win the All Ireland Ladies Inter County in the near future?
I would be very hopeful of us winning a national title in the next few years. The ladies game in the county is definitely going from strength to strength and has improved immensely in the recent past so I think we have it all to play for.

8.What in your opinion, can be done to attract more ladies to our game?
In Hillview ladies night is organised during the summer months to encourage new players in an informal and fun setting as an introduction to the game. I also think our Ladies County Matchplay should be resurrected.

9.Would you support a Ladies Sub-Committee being set up to try and implement ideas as to how more ladies can become involved in the game?
Yes I would. It would be great to see new faces in the ladies game.

10.How do you balance your role as a mother and try and get out to prepare for various competitions.
With difficulty! It's just not as easy to find the time to practice these days but I'm lucky with the job I have that I'm off all summer – and of course my wonderful husband!!!

11.Knowing you as I do for a long number of years, you enjoy the social aspect of the game, do you feel this is an important outlet in the game?
Absolutely. Having played the game for so long you tend to meet a lot of the same people at the various competitions and build-up friendships. I really enjoy the social aspect of the game and having the craic.

12.What goals have you set yourself for the future?
I would love to be part of a winning Tipp Ladies Inter-County team and maybe go a step-or two- further in the National Matchplay.
13.Surely, with the Matchplay in Larkspur this year, you will be looking forward to playing in that event, perhaps finally win that elusive title?
I would love to be playing in the matchplay as it's my favourite event but as I'm expecting my second baby this summer my game will be put on hold for a while!

Bríd, thank you most sincerely for agreeing to this interview and I wish you the very best for the season in 2010 and now especially with the new arrival on the way. Gut instincts would tell me it's a boy so the competition could be lively in the Cullinan household in the future.

(With Paul O'Brien)