John Shoer Memorial 2010

John Shoer Memorial 2010
Helen McMorrow, Tipperary County Board presents John Shoer Memorial Cup to Winner - John O'Meara - Riverdale

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An Interview with Noel Joyce - Hillview

The ever-popular Noel Joyce of Hillview has been a mainstay in Irish Pitch & Putt since the early 80’s. Noel is a former International with Ireland and also proud holder of two coveted Inter County Medals from the successes on 1993 & 1995. He had the proud distinction of being Captain of the team in their win at Lakewood in 1993. He still remains to be stalwart of the Inter County with his beloved Tipperary and also continues to challenge at almost every Scratch Cup he plays. Noel took the time out to answer some questions just as the season is about to start.

1. How and what attracted you to become involved with the Sport?
I first started playing in Larkspur Park, I think I was about 9 years old, there was not much to do in Cashel for the Summers and my Mother(RIP)paid the membership fee for myself and my brother. I suppose her thinking was that if we were up playing Pitch and Putt we would not be down the town getting into mischief. At that time you could hire clubs for a whole day for a shilling. The sport was very popular back then, I made friends in the club and I stuck with it, eventually we rose to the dizzy heights of owning a set of clubs, I actually still have that set.

2.What has been the highlight & biggest disappointment of your career to date?
I suppose the Inter-County in 1993 was very special in Lakewood. Winning the Riverdale Scratch Cup after 30 attempts was nice too. I remember taking a 4 on the last in National Strokeplay in Parteen in 1992, Frank O Donoghue won with –16, had I managed a par I would have got 2nd, but took 4 and got nothing. That was a big disappointment at the time, I've played total rubbish in the last few National Matchplays, but I hope to do better in Larkspur if I qualify.

3. From knowing you over the years Noel, you like to play for a few Euro to keep things interesting. If you had a choice who would you like to be paired with in a fourball and against whom and on what course?
Of course Paul it would be you in Lakeside against two 18 handicap players.

4. Have you a favourite and least favourite course?
I played Roscarbery last Winter and I thought it was just beautiful there, I must go again for a weekend. Would have no least favourite course, there have been a few over the years where Ive said ”never again“ but I've never stuck to my guns, what irritates me most are badly run Scratch Cups, but if people are making an effort to run things well, I normally don't complain.

5. Can you recall your most memorable win?
My first Scratch Cup in Lakeside 1984 which I won in a play off.

6. What drives you to continually play at the highest level?
I reckon I'm at it so long now it’s a lifestyle, more so than just a hobby, I've made many friends over the years too, that’s an important part of it.

7. What does Pitch & Putt mean to you?
I think answer to Number 6 would be appropriate here too.

8. How healthy is Pitch & Putt in Tipperary at the moment?
It's good at the moment, the fact that Tipperary Hills is back now means a lot, I think I would like to see more new faces coming through from the juvenile scene, we have a few girls now with Martha O Brien and Michelle McCarthy and there are a few others too, so that’s all good for the game.

9. Where do you see Pitch & Putt going as we begin a new decade?
I hope it will go forward, anything that stand still dies, it will be interesting to see if the current recession will have a positive or negative effect on memberships.

10. Is there any thing you would like to see change within the game?
I would like to see a natural progression, County Champion automatically into Provincial Finals and Provincial Champion into Nationals. I would also like to see more money handed out from Central Council for clubs hosting a National. Maybe with the value of land now in decline Central Council would consider buying some land and building their own course and office complex headquarters. I also think that in the current computer run world we should be able to enter competitions on-line. I'd like to see Scratch Cup results considered towards the Ranking system. Some of these issues may be addressed at Convention.

11. You are now an administrator with Tipperary County Board for a last number of years, do you see yourself ever getting involved with NEC in some way in the future, albeit on a Sub-Committee or even serving as an Officer?
Not for me at the moment anyway.

12. You were right in the mix of the Munster Strokeplay last year at Bruff with 9 holes to go. Can you recall the feeling of emotion that you went through at that event and did it give you great confidence for the remainder of the season?
Naturally I was delighted to be in the shake up, I had a poor shot at 14 and took 5 that finished it for me, there is always next time.

13. What are your own future playing aspirations?
I would love to win a National or a Munster as would everybody else, maybe it will never happen who knows, but as long as I'm enjoying playing I'll keep trying.

14. The All Ireland Matchplay has finally come to the course where you started Pitch and Putt. Provided you qualify, what would it mean to you to play in that event on the course where you learned your skills?
It would be great to play in Larkspur, I see qualifying is in Tipperary Hills so it wont be easy to get through. I failed to qualify for the last 2 Matchplays that were in Tipperary so maybe 3rd time lucky.

15. Just a final question Noel. Who is or was your toughest ever opponent and why?
Every opponent can be tough, I feel it all depends on how I'm playing myself, I know that if I play well I can beat anybody, if I'm not, then anybody can beat me, when you get to a certain level in the game, its all about practice and confidence, practice gives confidence, as I get older I find it harder to practice, I get bored with it, anyway that’s my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Noel, thank you most sincerely for your co-operation with this interview and I wish you the very best for the season in 2010. I have no doubt that you will continue to master the skills of the game and be battling it out with the very best throughout the year.

(With Paul O’Brien)