John Shoer Memorial 2010

John Shoer Memorial 2010
Helen McMorrow, Tipperary County Board presents John Shoer Memorial Cup to Winner - John O'Meara - Riverdale

Monday, February 15, 2010

An Interview with a President - Myles McMorrow

The ever-popular administrator Mr Myles McMorrow of Lakeside aims to become President of the PPUI in 2010 and become only the third person behind Liam Houlihan and Patrick A. Murphy to serve a second term as PPUI President. Myles is a driven man who has achieved much in administrating the sport at Club, County, Provincial and National level in the past. A keen player, when on form, he has won numerous County Championships and he was also Manager of the victorious Irish Team that won the European Championships at Lloret Papalus, Catalonia, Spain in 2001. Myles and his wife Helen are very dedicated to Pitch & Putt in Ireland and we take a few moments out of Myles’ very busy schedule to ask him a few questions on Pitch & Putt leading into the future in these times on uncertainty.

1.How and what attracted you to become involved with the Sport?
Back in 1979, I went along to the Lakeside AGM that was held in the Pioneer Hall. Back that time anyone who attended was roped into going on the committee. I remember the club at the time were about to run a draw so I said I would get involved.

2.What attracted you to the Administration side of the sport? Did your game suffer as a consequence?
I suppose it is fair to say that I have always liked to be involved in the administrating of any sporting organisation I was ever associated with. Prior to being involved with Pitch & Putt, I was involved in the Darts set-up in Tipperary (of which he is still involved with today). The chance of implementing ideas and helping out in the organising and running of a club is something that has always appealed to me. My game was never much good to have suffered but the odd time I hit form and that is pleasing for me.

3.Your wife Helen is obviously a great support to you and an avid Pitch and Putt administrator herself. How would you sum up her involvement in Pitch and Putt?
One word – TOTAL.

4.What do you strive to achieve in your term as PPUI President?
During my term of office I see a few challenges ahead but I aim to meet them head on:
-Try and get membership on the increase, at least one-third increase in my term of office would be satisfactory.
-I would like to see a unified organisation.
-I envisage to set up a few sub-committees to tackle areas that are of concern to me.
-One NEC Officer to attend a Co Board Meeting at least once a year where the Co Board can relay any issues to the Officer that they might have.

5.Would you be willing to meet with individuals/groups who have ideas on how our game can develop and possibly prosper going forward?
I will be available to meet with anyone who has ideas as to where the game can improve and develop. Just send a letter to the office requesting same and I will have it dealt with accordingly.

6.Should people be more appreciative of the efforts NEC officers make and should Club Officials have more responsibility when hosting events?
Yes. Over the peak periods of the season it can become a very tiring job because you never seem to get a weekend off because of how congested the calendar has become. This year, it looks as though officers could be out almost every weekend from June to end of September. Sometimes it gets hard but when you love the game, it is easy to attend the competitions. I would also look at a way as to how we can include the host club more effectively when running championships but that will have to looked into more.

7.The disbanding of the Provincial Councils, some people feel was a mistake. Can you give some background to why this decision was taken and do you agree with it?
The strategic plan committee back in 2002 proposed that it would be better to streamline top-flight administrators and it was agreed to abandon the councils. I was opposed to it at the time and still am. However, and this may not be popular but I would like to see the County Boards being Regionalised mainly because it would help the weaker Co Boards and could help strengthen the game in certain regions by having a strong board. I would then re-introduce the Councils to oversee these Regions. Whether or not this would ever be implemented though remains to be seen.

8.Is it fair to say that the current handicap mechanism within the PPUI is not working? What are your ideals on the new Handicap Committee that has been set up?
I really feel that the Handicap Committee that has been set up has done a fantastic job and really have brought forward an excellent motion to Convention. The motion is aimed at helping all grades within our game and it should prove very beneficial if supported. I will say that any handicap system is only good once it is being implemented correctly. Up to now we have had a few clubs not implementing the current handicap system correctly and I feel this has had an adverse affect on some grades. The new handicapping system looks at a lot of new initiatives within the game and could prove very successful if implemented correctly by all the clubs.

9.What role do you see Irish Pitch & Putt playing on the International frontier into the future?
I see Ireland playing a leading role as we enter a new decade. We were the founders of the sport so with our help the International game can continue to flourish and our player will continue their dominance on the International circuit also.

10.What is your outlook on the recent split with FIPPA & IPPA on the International front?
It is very unfortunate to be honest and I am unsure if the split is in the best interests of the game going forward. I would hope it will be resolved as soon as possible so that all we can develop and improve the game together.

11.Do you think Ireland will host one of the major International Events i.e. World Cup etc in your time as President?
I would like to think so. It could prove to be very beneficial to our game in terms of PR and also could help create sponsorship. If it enabled us to increase our memberships, then it would be a very worthwhile exercise also. We have proved to successful hosts of International competitions in the past also.

12.It seems to be a very busy and time consuming job being on the NEC. Do you find it tough in managing your own time while also looking after any other commitments be it work, other pastimes, etc?
Yes I do. During the peak times in the season as I have alluded to earlier, it does become very constant but I suppose myself and Helen are doing it now for many years at all levels in Pitch and Putt and we enjoy every minute of it.

13.You are also Captain of Lakeside in 2010. You are going to have an exceptionally busy year, will you get time to play at all?
I will always get time to play, maybe not as much as I would like to but once I am supporting competitions in Lakeside and Tipperary it won’t be too bad. You never know I might even qualify for the All Ireland Mixed with Helen, that would be nice (he says with a wry smile).

14.As President, what would it mean to you to be President of the PPUI and Captain of Lakeside when they host the All Ireland Seniors Competition in September? Are you eligible to play?
Lakeside is a place I have great memories of and will hope to experience many more in the times ahead. We always pride ourselves in preparing the course to a very high standard when hosting any tournament. Hosting a National is nothing new to us but it will be extra special for me to be Captain of the Club and President of the Union but you will never get an answer from me whether or not I am eligible to play!!!

Myles, thank you most sincerely for agreeing to this interview and everyone involved with Tipperary Pitch & Putt would like to wish you and Helen the very best of luck in your respective elections at PPUI Convention. We know that both of you will continue to administrate the game with passion, conviction and dedication that you both have shown over the years.

(With Paul O’Brien)